So you heard the big news today.
Kolten Wong and Sugar Shane Robinson were optioned to Memphis while Randal Grichuk and Greg Garcia were called up.
Maybe you’re just not that into the Cardinals farm system. Maybe you don’t care about players until they show up in the bigs. Maybe you thought Jhonny Peralta needed come company on the all miss-spelled first names list.
Whatever your reason, you don’t know much about these guys. So let’s take a peek at the interwebs and explore together…
- 22 years old
- 1st round pick of the Angels in 2009
- Bats R | Throws R
- Plays the outfield, primarily CF
- Acquired as part of David Freese trade
- Has 17 RBIs in AAA this season with 16 runs scored
- .421 AVG this season with RISP
- Winner of minor league Gold Glove award ’13
- Fun fact: Drafted ahead of Mike Trout
- 24 years old
- 7th round pick of Cardinals in 2010
- Bats L | Throws R
- Plays the IF, primarily SS or 2B
- 46 bases in 21 games for Memphis
- Leads Redbirds with 5 HR
- 14 RBIs this season
- Fun fact: Went to satellite campus of University of Hawaii
Both players will be making their Major League debuts when they take the field for the first time. Both are being promoted ahead of other options because of their play so far in 2014. Garcia will most likely be sent back down as soon as Wong heats up. Grichuk has a change to stick around with some solid pinch hitting.
The rest of the stuff you’ll gather as the Cards take on the Brewers tonight at Busch Stadium.
Photo: Grichuk’s Twitter Feed